: The devil is in the details: It's the end of the world as we know it

Friday, May 05, 2006

It's the end of the world as we know it

Yes, it looks like I'm back. Sorry about that. I was in a funk and then I wasn't, I was busy and then I wasn't etc. etc. etc. And then I wanted to write a really spectacular post to make up for lost time. But whatever...suffice it to say I'm back. And I was not abducted by aliens. And am in the middle of lots of experiments.

However, this seems to be part of a disturbing trend...today, I returned to blogland. Today it is almost 80 in Boston. I posted at the orignial "other place" yesterday and today (on the Lost board). I have been replying to emails that have been waiting for replies for far too long. Last night/today I started planning a dinner party that I am going to host this weekend where I will cook food that is not called "macaroni and cheese" and serve wines paired to the food. And there will be courses. Most shockingly, today I am wearing a skirt (a very cute white linen skirt at that) to work, even though it is just a normal day and I have no reason to dress up.

I don't know what has gotten in to me. Obviously, this means the world will end imminently. I hereby give you an excuse to quit whatever practical things you are doing and go out and enjoy the fantabulous weather, since it is the last day of the world and all.

:)

Oh....for those of you who wondered, the James Watson/Gilligan bobblehead has the website www.scivon.com on the back...I assume that is where it came from. (Someone gave it to me.) This site is probably not as cool as my favorite science geek site www.giantmicrobes.com (frankly, Syphillis is adorable).
Rosalind Franklin was the woman who contributed to the discovery of the DNA structure. She did the X-ray diffraction studies that gave Watson the idea for the double helix structure. She got no recognition at the time. There was a fourth co-discoverer as well, a man named Maurice Wilkins who was credited on the paper but who died before the Nobel prize was awarded (Nobels are not given posthumously). James Watson is now notorious for being extremely sexist and generally a tool and those qualities (and the fact that he doesn't hide them at all when he talks) result in his lectures being unbelievably full much more than his science does.

5 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

*leaves work to go play*

I'm just glad to see you posting again Iggy!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Welcome back and yes, it is warm. It's only been warm enough to walk in to work for a few weeks and I think soon, it will be too warm.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

Welcome back, Iggy Pop.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Iggy! *covers Iggy in smooches*

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Good to see you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home