: The devil is in the details: Blogging etiquette?

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Blogging etiquette?

So...here's a question (which I am asking you all since it is mostly your blogs that I comment on):

As you have probably noticed, I sometimes go through fits of not having time to read blogs. When that happens, I always go back and catch up on reading everyone's posts when I get time. The question I always come up with when this happens (such as this evening) is whether to comment on posts other than the most recent. My blog is setup so that I get comments emailed to me, meaning that I definitely read (and very much appreciate!) all comments whenever they are posted. Does everyone else do this as well, or do people not see the old comments? Should I post them or should I not get to comment because I was a late-coming slacker?

Thoughts?

13 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Jolene said...

I get mine emailed. I like comments no matter how old the post. Better a late comment than no comment at all, I say. (Especially since my posting has been so sporadic lately that people aren't checking it as often, so they often don't see posts until they'be already been there a while.)

Although it might be different for blogs where people use it more as a message-board type place, where people have back-and-forth discussions in the comments. Then there might be no point in commenting on older posts because everyone has quit checking once there are newer posts. But I don't know - my blog's not like that.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger mm said...

I don't have mine emailed, so depending on how old the post is, I might not see it at all. :( If I take the time to go back and look, I usually do find one or two new ones.

If you feel comfortable, you could always make note of the comment in the current post as well. Either way, it's never rude to comment on older posts, it's only a shame if the blog owner never sees them.

*smooches* to the late-coming slacker! ;-)

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I usually notice old comments (but don't get them emailed to me) If I've been absent, I usually just comment in the most recent couple posts (unless something is utterly dying for a comment).

I mean, it's supposed to be fun. Once you feel you have to comment on every post, it starts to feel like work.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I comment on the post inspires the thought. It makes for a more flowing document.

Does a comment need to be read by the post's original author to have value? Does self expression require an audience?

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

I say "Do what you dig".


I am the same way lately!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I get my comments emailed to me so I prefer that peeps comment on whatever post that want.

Knowing that not everybody gets their comments via email, I generally try to stick to the first couple of entries if I have not visited a blog in a while, though I will comment on older stuff if I think it is really crying out for my opinion.

BTW, I did the math on how much I tip my stylist: 38% of the cost of the cut. It's important to keep her happy!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I have my comments emailed also. Comment away! (PS-You can find my blog again, if you know where to look. *grin*)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Swami said...

I have my comments emailed. It's easier than just-in-case checking. If I suddenly become popular and get 50+ emails in a day I might reconsider - but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger mtw said...

Do what Bob says. That's my motto! Glad to see you back again! :-)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger momma said...

I don't have mine emailed, but I usually check the comments sections on the front page at least every day or two to see if anything was added.

I've also been known to post a couple of replies to the most current post and reference a previous. Not sure if that's proper etiquette or not, but...

*smooch*

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

MTW has a good motto.

If more people had that motto, there would be a lot less cars on the road and fireworks every night.

Sadly, all the plants would be dead and we would all starve to death.

Bob <--- plant killer

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

I like comments anytime. I usually don't get very many though. I do go back and check old posts for comments. I also comment on old posts that are not the most recent on other people's blogs. Hey guys, go back and check. You might find an unread comment from me.

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work video digital projectors tax laws ira 401k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home