: The devil is in the details: Things that only happen to me...

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Things that only happen to me...

This past weekend, I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding. Her mom and my mom were best friends in college and my friend and I have known each other our whole lives. The wedding was held in the small town where we grew up, where of course, everyone knows everything about everyone.
Anyway, I was the first bridesmaid to walk down the aisle, being the shortest. My cue was to walk when one particular piece of music was played. During the rehearsal, I got yelled at every time I walked down the aisle for walking too fast. Once the song started, I went on my way down the aisle, concentrating on walking slowly. About a quarter of the way down, I realized that the groomsmen and minister had missed their cue and were not at the front of the church yet. I realized that my options were to a.) stop b.) get to the front of the church and watch the guys walk by me or c.) turn around and go back. In a split second, I made the decision to turn around and walk back and start again when the guys were in their place. The second time I walked I had what many guests called "a gorgeous smile" as I worked very hard not to laugh. I later found out that none of the guests had noticed the missing groomsmen (since they were looking at me), so they were all rather confused as to exactly what happened. We all got a good laugh as everyone joked with me about it in the receiving line...and at the reception... etc. Well, tonight I heard from my mother, who was having a party that was attended by the bride's mother. The bride's mother had just come from watching the wedding video. Turns out that not ONLY was my little parade caught on tape for all of posterity, but the video also caught me saying "OH. SHIT." as I realized the groomsmen were missing. Audibly. A quarter of the way down the aisle of a church. Both my mother and the bride's mother (who are actually two of the more conservative-over-crazy-things people that I know) think it is the funniest thing that they've ever heard. I think that it is the funniest thing I've ever heard, except for the tiny little issue that it happened to me, leaving me also slightly mortified. Mostly, I still think it is hilarious though. I mean, come on, how bad is swearing in church during someone's once in a lifetime special occasion?

It was an all together excellent weekend, and I had a fabulous time (and got NO sleep.) Kegstands in bridesmaid dresses at the after-reception party always signify a good time. (Ahh, yeah, you've got to love rural upstate NY.) I could write many, many more posts covering fun and interesting things that happened this weekend. I've had a pretty busy week getting things back together, but just to let you know, I'm baaaaaack. :)

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Yay! You're back!
That is funny. I was the first to walk down the aisle too. *high 5's a fellow short person* I honestly don't think it would have even occured to me to look and see if the groomsmen were there. LOL. I was so fricking nervous. On the video I'm standing at the door looking terrified and you can see me take this huge deep breath right before the music starts. I didn't swear though. ;-)
So glad you had a fun time!
*smooch*

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger jenbeauty said...

You made the wedding!! I love my video with all the little mix ups and mistakes. It really is what made my wedding day extra fun. And the OH SHIT is so classic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home