: The devil is in the details: Old people

Monday, June 12, 2006

Old people

A lot of you have probably read about this already since it has gotten a lot of press coverage, but I think it is interesting, so bear with me. There is now a cell phone ringtone that is supposedly "kids only" in that it is a frequency that all kids can hear but that most adults are unable to hear due to gradual hearing loss as people get older.

Story and the ability to hear the ringtone here.

I can hear it (the graph of hearing frequencies that accompanies the story leaves off 25-29 year olds; apparently we are deaf). It is quite possibly the most annoying noise I have ever heard. Frankly, I feel the need to apologize if you heard it after clicking on my link.

Would someone really want that as a ringtone? It is the world's most annoying noise! Also, if I were teaching a class and someone had that ringtone and it went off, I think I would have to resort to violence.

Speaking of old people...this weekend I noticed that both the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam have become OLD. Since when did this happen? I do not approve.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

I heard it and I'm 39 years old! ...and even if I couldn't hear it, don't these kids realize I would still see them talking on the phone or playing with the buttons for texting? Duh!

I have always had excellent hearing, to the point it is annoying. I can't sleep without some white noise to drown out other noises.

One time, several years ago, I was in bed (with the windows closed). Mr. Nutz's beeper was going off, in his truck, downstairs, in the driveway about 50 feet from the house, with the windows closed. I heard it and made him get up to go turn it off so I could sleep! LOL!

...and who says the RHCP & PJ are old? Unless... they can't hear that ringtone either. *snort*

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Immunegirl said...

I saw a picture of RHCP in a magazine last week and I saw PJ on TV and it just seemed like they both (specifically Eddie Vedder and Anthony Kiedis) looked a lot older than I had remembered and seemed like they had aged a lot since I had seen them last. That's all. I'm definitely not sure I'm happy about it, because I feel like there is some sort of "I also aged since I saw them last" connotation in there somewhere.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger mtw said...

I could barely hear the noise, turning up the volume on my computer. I have some hearing loss already, so that doesn't surprise me

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh! I see. It is a little disconcerting when you see some of these bands age, but hey, take heart... The Rolling Stones are still waaay older than RHCP & PJ! *grin*

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Very interesting. I could hear it, but I played it for my mom (50's) and she couldn't.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Lasann said...

There was sound?

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
buy cheap long distance calls moonlighting job agency day trading dive watches soccer harvick kevin viagra the international debt crisis rules keno cricket boot jack auto alarm systems plastic surgery virginia loans 2nd mortgage refinancing in the united kingdom 69 month bookkeeping cpa supervised 1995 dodge neon turbo electronics air cleaners ozone play baccarat game best unlocked world cellphones

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Camping la baie Cover letter for web design jobs Pornstar vids Fat on my ass success with topamax Aiu distance learning chairs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home