Focus group
Earlier this week I was asked to be part of a Young Alumni Focus group for Duke. I mostly said yes because I figured it would be something new and different to do, because I figured it would be at a nice restaurant, and because I thought maybe I would meet fun people. I will definitely let you know how it goes.There is one little problem, though....
I am supposed to think up answers for the discussion questions before I go, and I don't have any answers. I know these are all meant to be specific to my Duke experience, but does anyone have any suggestions or answers for THEIR college experience that might spur me into thinking of what my answers are?
The questions:
What did you expect from Duke after graduation? Did Duke meet these expectations?
As a young alumni, how do you want to connect with Duke? (volunteering, social events, giving, networking, sports, through classmates…or not at all)
They also want me to review an alumni website and give suggestions on how to better connect with young alums.
The only thing that I can think of to say is that it is annoying to get calls asking me to donate all the time when they really ought to know that I have student loans to pay off and that I am in graduate school and that I have stopped answering phone calls that my caller ID says are from the Duke campus numbers because I know they are about donations. I feel bad, but whether or not I wanted to give money to Duke, I don't have it sitting around now.
As for my expectations....did I have any expectations? I can't really think of any. Would it be really bad if I said that my expectations were "a diploma"?

4 Comments:
Boy, those are hard questions. Wish I could help, but I wouldn't know what to say either.
Can I just add my vote to hating Alumni groups? The only thing my Alumni gave me was a sticker for my car and an offer for a credit card.
And begging for money.
I absolutely hate those kind of questions, so much that it would be enough to make me not go.
By the way, this really has nothing to do with your post, but it reminded me - the other day I had a dream that I was going back to college (why, I don't know, but since when did dreams ever make sense?), and for some reason I was going to Duke. It was actually the only school I had applied to. And I was really scared to tell Landru because I thought it would make him mad.
Ugh, I hope you get a nice meal.
I suppose you could think about these post-graduation expectations:
Networking social events with other alum
Highlighting recent graduates in newsletter
Discounts on campus event tickets (sporting, theatre, etc)
Job postings from companies that have recruiting relationships with Duke, etc.
Post a Comment
<< Home