: The devil is in the details: My serious side

Monday, October 03, 2005

My serious side

As you may have noticed, I haven't been very bloggy lately. A lot has been going on (on various fronts) and has left me with little time to write, even though I have had much to say. (Be forewarned: much of it is quite reflective and perhaps on the wrong side of the touchy-feely line, also contributing to my reticence to write it.) My week in lab is relatively flexible: lots of experiments, but not much in the way of things that HAVE to be done at a certain time. No more of this ass-over-tea kettle-type day, which means that I may be here more. As far as your updates go: the wedding was wonderful. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I'm not even sure that I can fully describe how perfect it was, but it really was just great.

Anyway...with all that is going on, I've been a little more into reading lately and less into writing. In addition to hitting all of the sites over there ------>, I've also been reading some of the bigger blogs as well. (Someday I'll make it through all of Sasha and Jo's links and feel well-read, which might perhaps lead to my making a more substantial link list of my own) Here are a few of favorites among the blogs I've recently read to distract you from the fact that today I've got nothing: (I'm only linking blogs with particular posts of note instead of whole blogs, because that would be a little annoying.)

Most everything at Alas is great. If you're up for something thought-provoking, check out this piece on the complexity of teen pregnancy and think about its relation to arguments surrounding abortion (which I think is important though I am iffy on the teen pregnancy as rational choice argument.)

In the "my thoughts exactly" category re: the Democratic party:
here again from Alas
here and here from Daily Kos

In the absolutely infuriating category:
-While yes, I do know those girls (and will refrain from pages of commentary on my own views on the issues), this NYT article is heinous (I'm pissed by the article cited, not the post. The post gives a much better summary than I could). Maybe Louise Story and Larry Summers can get together and have a conversation about how I'm wasting my spot at Harvard.

-I dislike Condolezza. But.... this is one of the most disrespectful things I've ever heard. She's the Secretary of State, for goodness sake. You're interviewing her for the news (though yes, it is Faux News). There are SO many important issues to ask her about, yet you choose to spend camera time on this?????? They're obviously all about equality there, folks. I mean, they'd definitely have the same conversation with Colin Powell, right?

And finally, the most infuriating of all (obviously the opposition, not the post is infuriating) from The American Street (also just generally fabulous).... Excuse me? WHAT exactly is the problem with this Seventeen article? You've GOT to be kidding me. I'm going to wake up and find out this was a joke tomorrow, right? I wonder what my mom is going to say when the package I send to my 14 year old sister includes copies of that issue of Seventeen for her and her friends. I doubt it is being pulled in NY (or that my mom will keep the issue out of sis's hands when the her subscription copy shows up), but still. Grrrr.

Anyway, that's all I've got, but stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too haven't had a lot of time for bloggery things either. I doubt I would ever make it through all of those things.

One day I'll get with it.

*smooch*

 
At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home