The update post (aka #1 of 4)
Hmm. My day just got a lot better. I ended up deciding to bag a big experiment, which frees me up a bit. This particular big experiment was going to take me at least 12 hours (but I am never that fast) and be only one of the things that I had to do today. I was sitting at the tissue culture hood working around 8:30, and had the following thoughts:"Self, this is a really shitty experiment. What were you thinking when you planned it? I'm not sure that we are going to get any useful data from this experiment as planned. Maybe if you hadn't been so frantic over everything that you had going on at the end of last week, you would have actually set up this experiment the way that you really wanted to. Hmmmm. Perhaps it would be a better use of your time and the lab's reagents if you spent today a little less frazzled and took the time to properly re-plan this experiment."
I decided that was a very convincing argument, so the experiment went away. My day now isn't un-busy by any stretch of the imagination (especially since I am currently waiting to start another experiment until someone else who is watching me shows up today...) but it is certainly better. Someone looked at me this morning and commented that I looked swamped, and I replied that I was and would be for a while, with Monday being the next possible calm day on my horizon. They looked at me in a kind of surprised way and said "You're looking forward to next Monday and NOT the weekend?" That's not entirely true, since I AM looking forward to the weekend, but I'm not expecting to have much in the way of free time then. I actually had to go through a bunch of dates over IM with a friend last night to find a time when we could actually talk on the phone.
When last I left you, I was bitching about an early morning meeting. Things last week pretty much went to hell in a handbasket for me right about a minute after I hit the "Publish Post" button. (let's hope that I'm not damned to the same fate today) Some new experiments ended up on my plate and it just became insanely busy. I ended up having to work on Thursday night; I was in at 11 am on Saturday morning after the bachelorette party and I was in on Sunday as well. Exhaustion is certainly a key word for the past few days...I really need to learn how to not like sleep so much. The whole 8:30 Wednesday meeting (which may be moved, surprise, surprise) is looking minor this week since I've got to be in that early to do experiments pretty much every other day too. Anyway, the summary of this part of the story is that lab work has ramped back up again...(and that my desk surface looks inviting for a nap.) I'm hoping that I'll have time for more than the drive-by reads of a couple other blogs and some technical finagleing here this week, but at this point I really have no idea. I'm glad to feel like I am getting things done and moving forward (I have certainly felt productive lately), but I could do with some more sleep.
As far as the non-lab side of things...that's been pretty busy too. A lot of it is sort of minutiae/not for prime-time/classified stuff, but much of it has involved hanging out with cool people. The biggest thing, of course was the
Let's see....what else goes into this update post? I just started reading blink, which seems excellent thus far. I'm not terribly far into it, but it has been extremely interesting, so I certainly recommend it. Oh...and on the vanity front (not to be confused with the stuff that will eventually show up in the vain post)...I realized this weekend that I can now fit into my super-skinny clothes that I haven't been able to wear in two years. (Psyched about this. Particularly the ability to wear my two favorite skirts to the shower and rehearsal) I guess that having a crazy busy summer does have some benefits, huh?

3 Comments:
hypocritical is all that I can say. I hear complaints about an 8:30 grad student meeting time one week, then the next week I get this in an email from you "I’ll be voting for 8:30 on this one"
I've been meaning to email you for like a week now. And I can't even blame it on being busy at work. Bad, me.
Yay! for fun parties and double Yay! for skinny clothes!
*smooch*
YAY! for skinny clothes and DOUBLE YAY! for super skinney clothes.
Post a Comment
<< Home