Radioactive Man
(Though I assure you he only SOUNDS like a superhero)....On Thursday, I complained about some problems that I was having doing a radioactive experiment. The outcome of the debacle was: I had to talk on the phone with the radiation safety office. They are getting the "hot room" opened today, and they are having it recertified so that I can work there. They also needed to verify that I was trained. I'm a little confused as to what training I was actually SUPPOSED to have, but for their purposes, I had to get a letter from the guy in the lab who trained me to do the scary experiment (check) and I have to do a "non-radioactive walkthough" with a man from radiation safety watching me today. He is coming by at 11:30. I have no idea what a non-radioactive walkthrough is. I might have to just tell him what safety procedures I am planning on using, or I might have to actually fake like I'm doing the whole experiment with water while he watches over my shoulder. No idea. I really don't like having people watching me over my shoulder when I pipet to see if I'm doing something wrong. I'm okay teaching someone, but the surveillance over my shoulder thing is annoying. I tend to get nervous and screw up. So.....this could be interesting. So...yeah. I'm hanging out waiting for the radioactive man to come by, and then I can use the rest of the day to plan and get ready for the week. I've already planned quite a bit for this week, but now I'm realizing that it may not be entirely feasible (especially adding in the radioactive experiments, the Coldplay concert, and the fact that I got up late this morning and didn't order antibodies, so I can really only do experiments with the antibodies that I've already got), so I think I might shift the week down a little. Ugggggh. I'm SO not looking forward to this.
I'll probably also get to do some editing (as in adding the rest of my links), emailing and other internet slacking today (yay!). As far as the weekend goes...I didn't do a whole lot, but I DID learn that 25 is apparently too old for MTV...I watched videos that Tivo had taped for me, and I have never felt older in my life.
5 Comments:
Ick, radioactivity is one thing I definitely do not miss. Sounds like you're doing 125I labeling, right? I don't know anyone who's ever done it, but it always sounded scary. I used to regularly do in vivo 35S labeling, which involved massive quatities of radioactive culture media, but still, 35S isn't such a huge deal. A guy across the hall once did in vivo labeling using 32P, and I think he pretty much contaminated every piece of common equipment he touched. Apparently there's really no way not to, since it's just so.much.radioactivity. And actually, I'm sure I probably did, too, but again, 35S - who cares, right? Haha. Ha.
Yup, I'm doing an 125Ilabelling. I'm only doing a 1mCi labelling, it is possible to do a 5 or 10 mCi labelling as well, so this is relatively minor. I am not briefed on all safety precautions, I get to work in the special double sucking hood and I don't feel like it is that scary at this point. I mean, it's not harmless like 3H, but it should be fine. Radioactive man admitted as much as he left. Then again...I will be happy to pass on the job of being the person in the lab who knows how to do this experiment.
Oh-I forgot to write this part, and now I can't edit...
It should definitely be fine. I like six-fingered children. They feel especially included while watching The Princess Bride .
This experiment makes you sound so smaht Iggy.
*smooch*
Thanks momma!! *smooch*
Post a Comment
<< Home