Oh Kurt!
I read Kurt Vonnegut's "A Man Without A Country" this weekend. For those of you who didn't already know it, Kurt Vonnegut is my favorite author ever. I have been looking forward to this book for a while although as I told my roommate a couple of days ago, I was worried about reading it as well. During Vonnegut's book tour he made an appearance on The Daily Show (one of my favorite TV shows...yay!) It was kind of painful to watch the interview: Jon Stewart quickly gave up on asking questions and instead the show featured two segments of KV rambling in the sort of stream-of-consciousness/non sequitor type of way that is often associated with elderly persons. His appearance on The Daily Show confirmed an unfortunate fact: Kurt Vonnegut is actually getting quite old. So...I was a little apprehensive about how his essay/memoir book would read.After reading the first two chapters, I was sad. The first two chapters were very much like the Daily Show interview. I lamented this fact to my roommate and then continued to read. After those first two chapters, the book really hit it's stride. Vonnegut spends a lot of time attacking the current administration in both overt and not so overt ways (I know you're shocked.) His title stems from this displeasure with the US right now...he feels that he has become "A Man Without A Country." As I was reading, I wanted to write blog posts about his views on both politics and religion, but I eventually decided against it because I figured there were copyright laws against my just reprinting the entire book.
Conclusion: Go read the book! It is shorter than some of my blog posts!! You will most certainly enjoy. :)
Other recommendations:
Cinnamon Dolce Lattes from Starbucks. I don't even like coffee and I am eternally addicted. Mmmmmmmmmm.
Project Runway: BEST GUILTY PLEASURE SHOW EVER. A fun reality show where contestants really have to have talent. Pretty clothes and lots of talk about fashion and design. Cattyness. Heidi Klum as the world's cutest pregnant woman. Honestly, it is the most exceptional reality show that I have seen in a long, long time. (All of the episodes shown so far this season are on my hard drive right now....)

3 Comments:
Here's a totally random and only tangentially related factoid: did you know Kurt Vonnegut's son is a pediatrician at MGH (last I heard, that's where he was, anyway). I know a guy whose kids go to him.
Really? He's at MGH? That's really interesting and also relatively related...his son the pediatrician is mentioned a few times in the book. :)
I'm pretty sure that's where he was, at least as of about six years ago (it was a postdoc I knew whose kids went to him). He was also in a Blue Cross commercial a few years ago. The postdoc said he was a really good doctor.
Post a Comment
<< Home