: The devil is in the details: I am *such* an OCD bitch

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I am *such* an OCD bitch

Our lab bay has three people (who sit at three desks) and two benches. My desk is next to a full lab bench, while the two guys that sit next to me have to share a bench. This is a little weird, seeing as how I have done far less bench work thus far in my project, while they predominantly do benchwork. Since I so rarely use the space, the two of them have expanded to use my space as well, which is fine. Until now, when I am starting different stuff and need it.

I'll fully admit: Clutter stresses me out. My desk is actually messier at the moment than I would like it to be. The person who had this bench before me used to keep it covered with papers a foot thick (really. No exaggeration. It was scary. She didn't sit at her desk once in the whole time that I knew her because the desk and her chair were covered with so much stuff.) So...I react strongly when the area gets cluttered. I have tended to get on my two bay-mates' cases a little bit lately for leaving my bench a mess when I need to use it. I complain and complain and feel bad about it but a) I need work space! and b) I would rather have the space open to work on as necessary as opposed to covered with their random stuff that has to be moved whenever someone needs space.

I was a little grumpy about it this morning (I blame it on having to get up early for our 8:30 grad student meeting). They ended up cleaning up all of their stuff and leaving the whole thing open for me, and now they are crowded into their little area. I feel bad that they are so cramped. I need to remember not to bite heads off. And make it clear that they are welcome to work at my bench, just not to use it as a storage locker.

*looks lovingly at the nice pristine expanse of lab space next to her desk and smirks* :)

PS: Mike, this is not directed at you. You are at least considerate and clean up after yourself. You may use my space whenever you want. :)

14 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

I wouldn't call it being an OCD bitch. It's your desk. Other peeps should respect that. Even if you did like lots of mess on your own desk, if someone else is using it, they should leave it clean.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I feel for you-my boss uses my desk as her spare sometimes...and I'm here full-time.

You are a lovely OCD bitch if nothing else.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Immunegirl said...

Why thank you weltek. :)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

um..er...

That person spilling over onto other peoples benches.

That would be me.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Immunegirl said...

So long as you don't leave 6 boxes of expired DNA purification kits all over my bench, you're good. :)

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Immunegirl said...

Update!

My entire bench is empty save my gel (plugged into a power supply) and a bottle of buffer for the next step (in 10 minutes). My lab mate just picked up my gel and buffer and moved them out of the way to start making bacterial plates EXACTLY where I had been working when there was a whole other 2/3 of an empty bench.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Immunegirl said...

Update!

My entire bench is empty save my gel (plugged into a power supply) and a bottle of buffer for the next step (in 10 minutes). My lab mate just picked up my gel and buffer and moved them out of the way to start making bacterial plates EXACTLY where I had been working when there was a whole other 2/3 of an empty bench.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

You don't have much longer to hunt down my brother and torture him. He may be leaving soon.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger momma said...

I'm dealing with a similar issue right now and it's driving me nuts. Except, I call it being anal, not being OCD. Although, I guess it's about the same really. Would you run a comparative analysis for me on that nice clean lab bench? Thanks.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I feel for you too. Like Kim my bosses sats shit on the corner of my desk and forgets and leaves it there. It drives me crazy.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Gawd, what a bitch.

:D

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Supes said...

It is pretty hard to work with 6 boxes of expired dna purification kits all over the place.

(Is that like, old deodorant or something?)

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iggy: I must have a clean desk ( at least at work) also. I get upset at the site of a stray paperclip on my desk. So I can relate.

 
At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home