Random Copenhagen stuff that didn't fit anywhere else
#1-I'm sorry that so many of my posts were very descriptive and lacking in commentary. It was hard to add commentary when there was so much going on.#2-Everyone in Copenhagen bikes. Everywhere. All the time. It was even a lot of bikes for Europe. Not only are there bikes parked everywhere (often times unlocked, which always surprised me), but there is a separate bike lane on all of the roads. I had a nasty habit of either getting confused and thinking that the bike lane was the sidewalk (in places where it was raised) or stepping off the curb and into the bike lane when trying to cross the street (or get into a cab or something) I think I almost got run over by bikes approximately a million times. There is also a city-wide bike program. There are little stations with these brightly-colored city bikes all over the place. They are free to ride...you have to put in a coin to take one out but then when you return it to another station later, you get a coin back. I thought about riding around on one of these bikes for a day, but I couldn't really look at a map and ride at the same time and I didn't know my way around the city that well.
#3-People in Copenhagen use the largest strollers that I've ever seen. They are absolutely enormous and have huge wheels. After being yelled at for being in the way of a stroller that was getting on a bus, J. started venting about them and how ridiculous they were. P. just looked at him and said "when we have kids, they are going to be in one of those strollers, even if I have to have it shipped from Sweden to the states at a huge expense. It is cruel to put a baby in a smaller stroller where they can't move around." J. shut up quickly.
#4-In front of many castles (and also in some other random places) there are statues of Kings (usually King Christian with some number) on horseback, riding into battle. The statues always depict the king riding towards the castle instead of out to battle. This means that whenever you walk up to a Danish castle, you are facing a giant horse's ass.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home